Toasting enhances the flavor and crunchy texture of pistachios and brings out the warm, fragrant aroma of the nuts. If you want to toast pistachio nuts at home, look for raw pistachios with slightly opened shells because tightly closed shells are difficult to open and indicate immature or unripe nuts. Once you remove the hard shells, you're ready to toast the meaty pistachio nuts in the oven. Pistachios are available in supermarkets year round.
Items you will need
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Plate or tray
- Kitchen towel
- Airtight container
Spread a single layer of shelled pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet.
Place the pistachios in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Toast the nuts for 5 to 10 minutes or until the nuts have browned lightly. Check the nuts often and stir them or shake the pan every few minutes to prevent burning.
Transfer the pistachios from the hot pan to a plate or tray, then allow the nuts to cool. Place a handful of pistachios on a clean kitchen towel, then bring the towel up around the nuts to create a loose bundle. Hold the bundle your hands and rub the nuts together vigorously to remove the papery shells.
Placed toasted pistachios in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. You can also store them in the freezer, where they keep up to three months.
- Remove the nuts from the oven when they are slightly undercooked. Toasting continues for a few seconds after the nuts are removed from the oven.
- To toast a handful of pistachios quickly, heat them in a skillet over medium heat. Shake or stir the nuts constantly to prevent scorching.
- For the best flavor and quality, toast only as many pistachios as you need at a time.
- Fine Cooking: How to Toast Nuts for More Flavor and Crunch
- The Seattle Times: The Sultan of Nuts
- The Deluxe Food Lover's Companion; Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst
- Cooking Light: How to Toast Nuts
- Sunset: How to Toast Nuts
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension: Toasting Nuts and Seeds Using Microwave, Oven or Stove-Top
- Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images